Thursday, October 13, 2011

Juicing Day One Follow up




Well, I feel a little foggy. As you can probably tell from the video, I'm a little out of it. I seriously had no food cravings up until about 4:30 p.m. That was something that really surprised me. I thought for sure I would not feel full, and I guess full isn't what I should have been expecting to feel. Satisfied; satiated are more the words that describe my hunger level after my breakfast and lunch juice. I even tested my resolve by meeting a friend for lunch. He was able to eat his lunch without me eyeing like a starving dog. I was feeling pretty confident.

I made two batches of juice today. The morning's batch had more fruit (sweeter) and the evening's less fruit (more bland). The sweeter juice of this morning was easier to drink quickly, and I also made popsicles out of it for a different texture. This evening's juice was another story. I was cloudy-headed around dinner, so Jon actually made my juice for tonight. I had to sip it, because if I tried to chug it, I gagged. That really surprised me, because I have had juice all week of varying degrees of sweetness without once gagging. It could have been the combination of the tiredness and dizziness with the flavor. I hesitate to use bitter as a flavor descriptor, because that is not the right. I will have to work on trying to describe it better.

What else? The texture of the juice is thicker than water, but a little thinner than whole milk. It has very fine particulate in it, which means I had to rinse the glass right away after using it or else the particles cake on. Oh! Tomatoes and cucumbers have a very over-powering flavor in relation to other fruits and vegetables. Think V8 flavor overpowering your apple juice. Since I'm not big on either of these two veggies, I am either halving them, or adding more fruit to cover their flavor.

Sweetness is another aspect that I am working with. You are not supposed to be using a lot of fruit in your juices. Mostly green veggies. I am trying to stair step down from the sweet. It is very hard for me because I was never a big veg or fruit eater to begin with. So going from Coca Cola every day to vegetable juice is a real shocker on the palate. I think we are so used to sugary drinks in this country, that anything natural tastes bland by comparison...and it doesn't satisfy that sweet craving. The funny thing, though, is that with my more savory evening juice, I had a small apple. That apple tasted like one of the sweetest apples I have ever had. Now, I know if I had just eaten an apple any ole time, it probably wouldn't have been so sweet. It's funny how my palate is already changing to tone down the sugar.

Well, that's all for tonight. Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't hate comments! What's cookin'?