1/2 cup vegetable shortening (Crisco)
1/2 cup butter (NOT margarine)
1 1/2 cups of sugar
2 eggs (room temperature if you have time)
2 2/3 cups flour
2 t of cream of tartar
1 t of baking soda
1/4 t salt
~Topping~1 T of sugar
1-2 t of cinnamon
Start by getting all your ingrediants together like we've discussed a million times before. Put your butter and eggs out 30 minutes or so before you're ready to start so they will be room temperature, but not melted. If you forget to put the butter out to soften, nuke it until soft but not melted. Sometimes it helps to cut it into pieces so it doesn't stay a brick on the outside and melt in the middle.
- Preheat your oven to 400*
- Mix your shortening, butter, eggs, and sugar.
- In a seperate bowl sift your dry ingrediants together if you have a sifter. If not, it's not the end of the world.
- Mix in the wet ingrediants to the dry.
- In a small bowl, mix the topping sugar and cinnamon together.
- Once everything is well incorporated, roll the dough into ping pong ball sized balls.
- Roll the balls in the topping covering. Be generous.
- Place the dough balls on a ungreased cookie sheet. about 2" apart. If you grease it they will be overdone on the bottom.
- Push the balls down a little with your fingers. These babies don't spread out like other cookies.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.